FeaturePak: The most significant embedded system expansion innovation since the birth of PC/104 in 1992.
FeaturePak is a new and innovative approach to mezzanine-style expansion of computer-on-module (COM) baseboards, single-board computers (SBCs), and proprietary embedded electronics. Additionally, the FeaturePak approach is highly synergistic with existing and emerging bus-, I/O-, chip- and board-level technologies, and satisfies the need for a low-profile, cost-effective way to add off-the-shelf I/O expansion options to embedded designs. In short, we believe it represents the “Next Big Thing” in modular embedded computing.
The FeaturePak standard was originated by Diamond Systems Corp., one of the first supporters of the venerable PC/104 modules standard. Although PC/104 and PC/104-like stackable modules have evolved to encompass new technologies, there was a perceived need for an even smaller, lower-profile, mezzanine-style expansion format for use on tomorrow’s compact, highly-integrated SBCs and COM baseboards. The FeaturePak standard was developed to fill this gap in what was currently available in the embedded market.
Key FeaturePak features:
- Compact, low profile form-factor — 3/5 the size of a credit card and 1/3 the size of a PC/104 module
- Single low-cost connector integrates all host and external I/O interfaces
- Provides up to 100 I/O points per module
- Leverages industry-standard buses such as PCIe, USB, and I2C
- Host processor and factor agnostic
- Coexists with PC/104, SUMIT, Qseven, ETX, XTX, COM Express, etc.
- Multiple FeaturePaks may be present within one system
- Zero height expansion module
- Open industry standard
- Rugged and reliable
Key FeaturePak benefits:
- Shortens time-to-market
- Reduces board-level development costs and risks
- Simplifies system design
- Eliminates cables, resulting in higher reliability, lower cost, and faster assembly
- Enables scalable and reconfigurable system design
- Enables easy product upgrades
- Protects from component obsolescence
- Encapsulates intellectual property
- Suitable for SBCs, baseboards, and proprietary all-in-one hardware designs
- Ideal for rapid-prototyping through high-volume applications
- Ideal format for silicon vendor reference designs
- Open standard increases market acceptance
The FeaturePak specification is being maintained by the FeaturePak Trade Association (FPTA), a California Nonprofit Mutual Benefit Corporation. To contact the FPTA, please send an email to email@example.com or use our contact form. Further information is available from the following FeaturePak pages or publications:
- FeaturePak Overview
- FeaturePak Brochure
- FeaturePak Backgrounder
- FeaturePak Whitepaper
- FeaturePak Specification and Design Guide
- FeaturePak FAQ
Join the FeaturePak Trade Association
Although anyone can build products based on the FeaturePak specification, FPTA members will gain the ability to:
- Directly influence the evolution of the FeaturePak Specification
- Use the FeaturePak logo in association with FeaturePak-related products
- List FeaturePak-related products on FeaturePak.org
- Participate in FPTA marketing and promotional activities
Find out more here.